S & S rep. springs

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu, 20 May 2004 22:26:04 EDT

In a message dated 5/20/04 7:33:19 PM, Cramer@BrandonU.CA writes:

<< PS On the subject of reconditioning wips, I'm very fond of recovering the
heels with cloth stretched/clamped in place (gang-fashion) with go-bars, as
Bill Spurlock taught.

One obstacle has been having the stack at the correct height in relation to
the ceiling, and another has been controlling the lateral force the old
fashioned bars can produce.

So, I revisited Rod Vernjhak's web-site to have another look at a picture
that provoked some thought last time: His "spring-loaded" go-bar deck!
comments? >>

Greetings,
    Anytime I am replacing capstan felt, the whippens are off the stack for
things like pinning, etc.  While they are off, it is really easy to use the
small spring clamps to simply hold wooden cauls in place while the glue dries.  I
make the cauls out of a strip of wood, into which I have scraped a concave
relief,  just wide enough to cover the felt.  I then slice it into 3/8" pieces
and go to clamping.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT