[CAUT] teaching piano tuning

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 14:10:02 EDT

In regard to Anne's program offered at FSU, I think we need to take a
serious look at our caereer as a whole, and what is hapeening to it. We had a  short
discussion this weekend at NCRC about the need for more piano tuners, and
especially educated ones.

Perhaps you are not aware of the fact that the average age of the  members of
PTG is 59 year. The main reason is that for a vast majority  of our members,
piano tuning is a 2nd career, either in retirement, or  after 10 - 20 years
working on other fields. With few exceptions, we  are not getting any young
people enterring our field. I think what is  missing is a concerted effort on our
part to talk to students, both high school  and college, about getting into
this field upon graduation. Unfortunately most  of us are too busy to spend the
right amount of time instructing and helping  those students who are
interested. But part of the problem too is the lack of  schools that teach piano
tuning.

The question is, why aren't there more schools teaching a course of  study in
piano technology? The obvious answer is lack of students. But why  aren't
there enough students interested in this field? Is the answer  perhaps our fault,
that we have not explained adequately the opportunity  for piano tuners to
make a living.

This is where I think we, as CAUT technicians, should take a more active
role. Perhaps we should encourage more students to enter our field, if not by
talking about the schools in Boson and London, but at least encouraging  them to
look at what Randy has to offer.

If we are going to maintain our industry we have to start looking for our
own replacement. 59 is not old, but it's certainly getting to the point where
our own demise is imminent.

Wim