[CAUT] Temperament:Harpsichord:Handel ?

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Fri, 02 Dec 2005 10:18:07 -0600

It has always been my understanding that those "lists" of temperament
offsets are purely calculations of paper tunings not accounting for
inharmonicity.  This would be the same as tuning equal by setting every
note at  0.00 on the machine.  I think there have in some cases
allowances been made to calculate with FAC numbers, for example, but I
don't use it myself.  My point being is that's important to know the
difference.   It wouldn't be acceptable to tune an equal this way, and
there's more at risk here.....(IMO).  If a tuning labeled "equal" comes
out unsatisfactory then the tuner is responsible.  If a tuning labeled
"unequal" proves unsatisfactory, then usually it is the class of unequal
temperament that takes the brunt.  Touchy issue,  of course, ....but
maybe that is beginning to change now too.

cheers-

dennis johnson
St. Olaf College