[CAUT] Re: piano miking

Elwood Doss edoss@utm.edu
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 21:39:02 -0600

I won't be able to attend the PTG Convention/Institute this summer, but
I would very much like to have a course such as Fred (and others)
describe taught on a fairly regular basis.  It would be of great help to
me, I know.
Joy!
Elwood

Elwood Doss, Jr., RPT
Piano Technician/Technical Director
Department of Music
145 Fine Arts Building
The University of Tennessee at Martin
Martin, TN  38238
731/881-1852
FAX: 731/881-7415
HOME: 731/587-5700
-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Fred Sturm
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2005 7:12 PM
To: caut
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Re: piano miking

On 12/5/05 11:28 AM, "Chris Solliday" <solliday@ptd.net> wrote:

> Most of all I
> think piano technicians should stay out of this area and not ad hoc
the
> sound guy because we don't like being ad hoc'd neither. Hey? It
certainly
> wouldn't hurt to understand the fundamentals better so Rick F is
definitely
> in the right direction with Keith, but let's not expect too much from
a PTG
> class and get all heady and mouthin' off to the sound technician just
> because he doesn't have his own guild.
> Chris Solliday

    I'd love to see a class on the subject of miking, both for recording
and
for amplification. Chris has a very good point about not pretending we
know
more than we do, and giving advice to professionals who don't want it.
But
there have been a number of occasions where a sound person or a
recording
person has asked me for an opinion - they may be good sound or recording
people, but don't know the piano. It would be good to have some basic
background.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico