[CAUT] Petrof tuning

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 10:31:56 -0500

On Dec 7, 2005, at 11:00 PM, Leslie Bartlett wrote:

> Could two days in relatively low humidity, with no
> heat or air, make that kind of difference?
> les

Absolutely.

Les, my first year here I did my recital tunings in the mornings
before 10:00 and they could be so bad by the time recitals began at
4:30 just from the climate difference caused by student classes going
and coming during the day, that I would be embarrassed.  Lately, as
I've done tunings in the hall, the piano detunes itself drastically
(I call 3-5 cents pretty drastic) before I can even get two octaves,
just from having the lid open. It's detuning in the opposite
direction from an overpull, so that's not the reason for it.  This is
a piano that given reasonably stable climate is the single most
stable instrument I ever tune.  When the hall gets really busy during
more stable times of the year, I might have to let it go a week
between tunings and it does just fine, whereas it's been getting
three tunings a week the past three weeks and won't stay in tune for
love nor money.

I realize your situation is in a home, which would normally be more
stable, but without having a way to measure what's been going on in
between appointments, it is impossible to know what that piano has
been going through.  Do you normally tune for this customer in summer
and winter?

I compare our climate to yours because all too often we get what
ya'll are having 1 or 2 days later.
Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina