[CAUT] Steinway action removal

Bob Hull hullfam5@yahoo.com
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 20:35:29 -0800 (PST)

Caut List,

I encountered a 1926  Steinway grand yesterday that
used to be a player and I could not get the fall board
off.  It was not attached to the cheek blocks but
seems only to rest  on  a pin on each side.  The piano
was donated to the school but has a  lot of wear plus
about size 5/o tuning  pins.

This piano seems to be about the same size as an M.
It says Miniature  on the plate and has the extra
space between the front edge of the  plate and the
front of  the "stretcher".   With the extra long keys
I wonder if the action geometry is much different.  It
seems like it would be worth rebuilding.  The tone is
decent for that  size of  grand.
Any advice  on  removing this fall board would be
welcome.

Bob Hull