[CAUT] Steinway Style II Grand:  Liszt/Erard

Bdshull@aol.com Bdshull@aol.com
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:56:12 -0500

Hi, Ed,

Please accept my apologies for my misuse/abuse of your reference to Liszt (what a great thread, huh!)

Liszt absorbed everything;  he worshipped Beethoven, played the Sonatas all the time early on, and considered his formal musical ideas to be rooted in the progressive ways in which Beethoven structured his own music.   An upright?  interesting!  This is mere fanciful speculation here, but by the 1860's the piano had evolved to the extent that Beethoven's piano literature didn't sound like it was breaking the piano (the stress and tension in Beethoven's music is best understood on period instruments of his time);  could Liszt have played Beethoven's music on an upright to re-create this?  Probably not, but it gives me an excuse to point out again that best understand a composer's piano repertoire on an appropriate period instrument.

Bill