[CAUT] verticals

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK@missouri.edu
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:00:56 -0500

Les,

By the time you finish the cleaning, repinning, etc., your labor costs are
likely to get close to the cost of new parts.  My question always is, for
what I have to charge, what is the customer getting?  How much longer are
those 100-year-old hammershanks, flanges, bushings, springs, etc., going to
last?  I did an action some years back where I just replaced hammers,
shanks, butts, and all the felt/cloth.  Now it seems that every time I go
back to tune it there are one or two wood pieces to repair/replace/reglue,
and that note hasn=B9t played in a month or two.  It may cost a little more t=
replace everything, but when you consider what the customer is getting for
their money, it=B9s a pretty easy sell.  BTW, I have never found the damping
to be acceptable on one of these old guys, even with new damper felt, unles=
I also replaced the damper flanges & springs.

Just one guy=B9s opinion,
Ken Z.

On 7/14/05 10:08 PM, "Leslie Bartlett" <l-bartlett@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> How marvelous to replace all action parts, but what on earth must one cha=
rge
> for such a thing???????????   This Story and Clark is 100 years old, and =
most
> of the action parts are still quite tight, though I will have to do some
> repinning.  I'm replacing hammers, damper felts, damper lever felts, back=
 rail
> cloth, rest rail cloth, let off button felts, cleaning out all the spring
> grooves, springs, and lubricating the grooves. The keyboard is being redo=
ne by
> Merle Sanford, and is ivory, and David Geiger is restringing the piano,
> plugging all the tuning pin holes and redrilling.  This is costing a bunc=
h of
> bucks, and I can't imagine what one would charge for a complete restorati=
on.
> I'd sure be interested in comments from those who have vastly more experi=
ence
> than I.   I tried to get out of this job, but the owner wanted me to do i=
t,
> and Wim Blees finally cajoled me enough to risk it- so I am no expert at =
this
> stuff, and normally seem to underprice my work.    What would a "complete
> restoration" less case work, cost in this world????????
>=20
> les bartlett=20
>=20

--=20