[CAUT] verticals

Chris Solliday solliday@ptd.net
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:24:35 -0400

Re: [CAUT] verticalsgood opinion. Chris Solliday
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ken Zahringer=20
  To: College and University Technicians=20
  Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 12:00 PM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] verticals

  Les,

  By the time you finish the cleaning, repinning, etc., your labor costs =
are likely to get close to the cost of new parts.  My question always =
is, for what I have to charge, what is the customer getting?  How much =
longer are those 100-year-old hammershanks, flanges, bushings, springs, =
etc., going to last?  I did an action some years back where I just =
replaced hammers, shanks, butts, and all the felt/cloth.  Now it seems =
that every time I go back to tune it there are one or two wood pieces to =
repair/replace/reglue, and that note hasn't played in a month or two.  =
It may cost a little more to replace everything, but when you consider =
what the customer is getting for their money, it's a pretty easy sell.  =
BTW, I have never found the damping to be acceptable on one of these old =
guys, even with new damper felt, unless I also replaced the damper =
flanges & springs.

  Just one guy's opinion,
  Ken Z.

  On 7/14/05 10:08 PM, "Leslie Bartlett" <l-bartlett@sbcglobal.net> =