[CAUT] Steinway stack height

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:29:52 -0400

Thanks Chris and all that replied. I'll thumbtack the specs to the wall so I
won't misplace them. I did contact Kent Webb and the current spread
specification is 4 13/32" which translates to 4.40625"

The piano in question is indeed of 1968 vintage (Mr. Purdy) and was
originally Teflon with the big fiber knuckles. I isolated the problem to two
sources: The rear of the stack was 1/16" too high (3 5/16")...easy enough, I
carefully planed the shoes down. The shank bumpers on the new wippens I want
to use (Tokiwa miracle wipps) are 1/8" higher than the original. We save a
lot of old parts here...it was good to have some samples to check. This
piano had a new soundboard installed a few years ago (before I started here)
and obviously the string heights are lower now than its original
incarnation.

In Chris's post below I can't exactly visualize what they are talking about
when they say "continually check for straightness with the straightedge on
top of the hammershank flanges". My only guess is that if the mounting
blocks aren't all on the same plane the hammer rail could warp down or up
where a stack bracket is screwed down but it seems like it would have to be
really bad for this to happen.

Eric Wolfley, RPT

Supervising Piano Technician

College-Conservatory of Music