[CAUT] Steinway stack height

Chris Solliday solliday@ptd.net
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 19:09:15 -0400

Eric, I'm sorry I misunderstood you to say that the string heights were =
lowered. As far as inducing warping, it is more to get the middle =
mounting blocks level or slightly raised in the senter to match the =
string heights. The straightness or lack of it may be involved only in =
the torque of screwing down the feet to the blocks but I suppose some =
radical could bend the thing. BTW have you ever encountered the front =
mounting higher than the back? Yes, it has happened from the factory.  =
Chris Solliday
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel)=20
  To: 'College and University Technicians'=20
  Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 1:55 PM
  Subject: RE: [CAUT] Steinway stack height

  Chris,

  My string heights are in the 7 1/2" range for the most part (a little =
higher in the middle) and the hammerflange centers are at 5 =BE" so the =
real problem is getting the 1 =BE" blow distance without peeling the =
bumper felt off to within 1/8" of the wood. I've dealt with a couple of =
actions where I would like to raise the rear of the stack up to avoid =
the "dreaded repetition lock-up" but have glued extra felt on the =
bumpers for the sake of expediency. Do they ever actually induce warping =
in the stack at the factory to match the curvature of the string =
heights? I've never had a stack that rocked on a flat bench or noticed =
one that was flexed into a curve on the keyframe.

  Eric

  Eric Wolfley, RPT

  Supervising Piano Technician

  College-Conservatory of Music