[CAUT] Kawai Regulation

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Fri, 4 Nov 2005 10:49:22 -0500

On Nov 4, 2005, at 9:33 AM, <lafargue@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Key dip is approx 3/8".

I wondered if this might be the case.  Don didn't mention what the
spec was, but I'd say 3/8" is waaaay shallow.  The shallower the dip,
the less movement the backcheck makes during travel, so what's
happening is to get the hammer to check anywhere inside of an inch,
you're having to regulate the backchecks too close to the tails at
rest, causing them to catch on the way up, and yes, they might even
catch on the way down.

>  Sorry Ron, I still can't see how checking height would affect
> that.

It's a combination of checking height and too shallow of dip.  I
think most Asian pianos use 10 mm, but I don't have a block for that,
and I'm not sure what the exact conversion to inches is.  Most of the
time, I shoot for somewhere closer to 13/32" in Asian pianos, and
that usually works.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina