[CAUT] Kawai Regulation

lafargue@bellsouth.net lafargue@bellsouth.net
Fri, 4 Nov 2005 11:17:09 -0600

Thanks to all for the input.  I found the problem only in the lower
tenor.  The dip is a little deeper than 3/8 and I think any deeper and
it would not feel as good.  I may make some of you cringe, but I pushed
backchecks in 1/16" deeper, raised blow slightly in low tenor and made
sure the rest rail was close enough to keep the shoulder from contacting
the top of backcheck, still leaving 1/8" or so space below the shanks.
All is within spec, including height of tail at drop relative to top of
backcheck.  The piano plays very nice and has a powerful whip feel that
I like in most Kawais.  Thanks again.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANOS, LTD
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
985.72P.IANO
lafargue@bellsouth.net
www.lpianos.com
 <http://www.lafarguepianos.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Jeff Tanner
Sent: Friday, November 04, 2005 9:49 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Kawai Regulation

On Nov 4, 2005, at 9:33 AM, <lafargue@bellsouth.net> wrote:

Key dip is approx 3/8".

I wondered if this might be the case.  Don didn't mention what the spec
was, but I'd say 3/8" is waaaay shallow.  The shallower the dip, the
less movement the backcheck makes during travel, so what's happening is
to get the hammer to check anywhere inside of an inch, you're having to
regulate the backchecks too close to the tails at rest, causing them to
catch on the way up, and yes, they might even catch on the way down.

 Sorry Ron, I still can't see how checking height would affect
that.

It's a combination of checking height and too shallow of dip.  I think
most Asian pianos use 10 mm, but I don't have a block for that, and I'm
not sure what the exact conversion to inches is.  Most of the time, I
shoot for somewhere closer to 13/32" in Asian pianos, and that usually
works.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina