[CAUT] a new tuning pin

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Mon, 5 Sep 2005 11:19:17 -0400

>Anyone know if what, if anything, ever became of his idea?

US patent  4,920,847 was granted to Harold in 1990. These pins were
never put into production, and with the demise of Baldwin the patent
eventually lapsed.

I have some samples that Harold sent me and have tested them, as well
as the general principles using hardware we put together in the lab.
The idea is excellent, although sensitive to having exactly the right
parameters and lubricant type (see Harold's patent testing) for long
term torque stability, albeit with hundreds of repeated back and
forth cycles (which a pin would not be subjected to in a piano
application).

I may use this type of pin in the new piano we're designing at UW.

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett
Piano Design Lab