[CAUT] Rochester 2006

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sat, 10 Sep 2005 23:41:24 -0700

I don't know...take a class and have the teacher bite your head off...;=
-]
David I.

Original message
From: "vince mrykalo"
To: "College and University Technicians"
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Rochester 2006

Hi Rick,
I'd like to suggest Joe Garrett do some classes.  Attached are his topi=
cs he could do.  Also John Bryner from our chapter, who was a physics t=
eacher at the university level, presented a good class on when a piano =
string is stable from the stand point of what each string segment tensi=
on should be when that is the case, and answers the question if we are =
trying to equalize the tension of the segments when we do a stable tuni=
ng.

It looks like you are putting together a very good institute, better th=
an usual.  KC to me had some bright spots, but was a little disappointi=
ng from the stand point of what was offered.  A lot was the same old-sa=
me old.  It's hard to be fresh every year, but it looks like you are we=
ll on the way to doing just that.

Rick Florence <Rick.Florence@asu.edu> wrote:
I am posting this to a number of lists. My apologies for duplications.

Hello,

As some of you may know, I am the Director of the 2006 PTG Annual Insti=
tute
in Rochester, NY, June 21-25, 2006.

I am writing all PTG members asking your help in planning the institute=
.
For those of you who were in KC, I would love to have a little feedback=
.
What were your five favorite classes, and your five least favorite clas=
ses.

For those of you who didn't attend, what kept you away? Please keep in =
mind
that as Institute Director, I have no control over dates, location, or =
fees.
So.. what I would like to know is what classes or other educational
offerings would bring you to Rochester.

Although I do not have a "theme" for the institute, the committee is in=
tent
on making Rochester a place to both see actual work being performed or
experienc! e the work hands-on. We have all seen great presentations on=

slides or powerpoint, but left the class still unsure how to implement =
a new
skill. 2006 will be the year to see how it is done! Here's a brief look=
 at
what's in the works as of now:

Andre Bolduc will be offering a 2 day soundboard installation class whi=
ch
will also cover setting down bearing and bridge notching. All work will=
 be
performed in class (except pre-crowning the board)

Renner USA is working on putting together an action class in which all
rebuilding work will also be performed during the class.

Stephen Birkett, will be bringing his high speed camera for live footag=
e of
action or string/bridge evaluation. Have you been dying to see a partic=
ular
function or set of variables high speed? Send me your suggestions.

It's time we invited our best rebuilders to show their stuff! I am hopi=
ng
we can put together an impressive rebuilders showcase. My idea here is =
toinvite rebuilders to teach a class on a particular skill or method, a=
nd to
bring along the finished result to show the class. After class is over =
the
piano will be added to an exclusive rebuilders gallery for all to see a=
nd
compare.

I would also like to expand on this showcase and put together a track o=
high-level soundboard/structure design. In a sense, this will be an
institute within the institute. I am calling all gurus - you know who y=
ou
are - to join a forum of classes and presentations of your thoughts on =
all
aspects of soundboard and piano design. This would be an impressive
collection of the best minds in the business.

Speaking of tracks, we will also add other sessions of hands-on classes=
 in
the areas of regulating and voicing. These will be multi-session classe=
allowing registrants to follow complete processes with the guidance of
experienced technicians. There will be tracks designed for beginner and=

intermediate. Som! e will be small group sessions, others run as master=

classes.

June, 2006 is not far away and I must present my initial budget to the =
Board
in August so now is the time for action. If you have ideas, suggestions=
, or
wish to volunteer, do it soon. I look forward to receiving your input a=
nd
putting together and incredible experience in Rochester next year.

Please send all responses and inquiries to institute@ptg.org

Thanks to all,

Rick Florence