[CAUT] Pianos for piano performance majors

Paul Williams RPT pno2nr at whidbey.com
Sat Apr 1 02:09:03 MST 2006

Hi all.  When I play a piano (tech stuff out of the way and as a musician) I want to feel comfortable with the instrument.  I want it to be smooth and even, and depending on the type of music, either bright. light and lively, such as would be expected for jazz; or I would want even and mellow for Chopin or
Debussy. ..  I believe all pianos should be brought to the highest capability they can attain.  Sometimes a Yamaha or even a Kawai can produce confidence in the player that would please them.  I, however, still prefer a Steinway or Bosendorfer, but perhaps I am too educated in the production of those pianos.  I do enjoy Yamahas and some Kawais although I find the Kawai doesn't quite get great sound when brought up to fff, but maybe I haven't learned enough on their potentials.  I agree that the correct hammer should fit the piano, but generalizing a particular "brand" is a bit hasty.  Many fine hammer producers are available and many can be adjusted for the piano at hand.  Please respond....
Paul T Williams RPT and pianist
pno2nr at whidbey.com