[CAUT] Bridge pin removal

Tim Coates tcoates1 at sio.midco.net
Wed Dec 13 20:34:46 MST 2006

Fred,

Heat works well.  Along with heat, make a nail puller by running a
large bastard file through the jaws of a large front cutter wire
cutter.  A nail puller is essentially a large front cutting wire
cutters that won't cut.  After laying a cabinet scraper on the strings
to make a platform for leverage, use the nail puller to remove the pin.
   Pulling a little at a time and resetting the puller lower on the pin
prevents damaging the hole.  If you do damage the hole just dowel and
redrill.

Or, just grunt it out with vise grips.

Worn bridge pins can cause zings.  That's why I wait until at least the
fourth chip tune to do the final leveling of bridge pins.

Tim Coates