[CAUT] It was a funny first

Anne Acker a.acker at comcast.net
Fri Dec 15 19:04:11 MST 2006

From: James Ellis <claviers at nxs.net>
> I have heard lots of stories like the one Michelle told, and a variety of
> others as well.  For my part, I will NOT do a "first" tuning for anyone
> unless the adult person who calls me is going to be there when I arrive,
> when I leave, and perferably for the whole time.  If they can't, or won't,
> I don't.  I'm very cautious with "first timers".  There's just too much
> funny stuff going on these days, and there are some people who are looking
> for any excuse they can find to sue.  After I get to know the people and
> their pianos, and they get to know me, it's an entirely different matter.
> I have a few customers for going on to 40 years now, and we have complete
> trust both ways.
>
> Jim Ellis

Agreed, but under the circumstances, Michelle, I would have quickly done the tunings and just left when I was done leaving a bill, followed up by mailing a bill.  That would have avoided all the unpleasantness with the encounter.   There's no reason to hang around waiting to be paid.    The spouse had no business intimidating you like that.  I hope you kept your cool and asked him to call his wife, then say Excuse me sir, I need to leave or I'll have to bill for the extra time as I have other appointments (even if the appointment is with yourself to get out of there!)

Anytime you MUST stay extra time for some reason,  you need to bill for the extra time.  That teaches them very quickly.  An appointment is an appointment and you have other fish to fry which will pay for your time.  The exception is the clients who become friends and make you fresh coffee or lunch and have a friendly chat.  That is a bonus!

Be strong.

Anne