[CAUT] TIP OF THE YEAR!

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Dec 28 20:23:15 MST 2006

On 12/28/06 1:25 PM, "kpiano" <kpiano at goldrush.com> wrote:

> Turning the stack over is a good way to do a quick check but for the traveling
> I like Spurlocks
> method. The stack doesnt have to be removed or turned over to check the
> results. You travel the end
> hammers of a section. I use a square sitting on a flat bench and turn the
> square around to check.
> Take an 1/8 x 1/2 stick the length of a section and with modified clothes
> pins, attach the stick
> under the shanks with the clothes pins. The stick has marks on it or you can
> make reference marks as
> you go with a pencil. Pretty soon there is not a spot on the stick without a
> reference mark. I draw
> a pencil line next to the shaft and you can see movements of a lines width. I
> use a long screw
> driver about the mid point of the stick to raise and lower the shanks through
> the range. When you
> are done, stand the shanks up and admire how evenly spaced they are.   (and
> the hammers dont get dirty)
>
> Keith Roberts

Hi Keith,
    The dirty hammers comment is well taken. I often use a strip of cloth or
paper to rest the hammers on for the upside down traveling. Should have
mentioned that. Although I am usually doing traveling prior to shaping, so
it doesn't really matter much.
    I'm a bit puzzled as to how you set up the square as your reference
point for the shanks without removing the stack. Aren't the keys and checks
in the way? With stack removed, I can see it. I used to do that to
pre-travel shanks before hanging hammers.
    As for lifting with the strip of scribed wood attached to a section,
hey, whatever works for you go with it. I'm sure you can get good results
watching a shank move relative to a sharp pencil line, though it does mean
looking at each shank individually with eye in just the right angle, doesn't
it? I find that having the hammers all facing me, and just looking for
lateral movement, is a much more efficient use of time and effort. And it
definitely isn't just for a "quick check." With a practiced eye, I can do
far finer work that way than anything I have ever seen.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico