[CAUT] 1098 slight redesign

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:59:09 -0700

Andrew,

=20

Now you're sounding like Del. :-)

=20

I've read about it in the "5 lectures" but don't really know the nuts
and bolts, or more specifically "how to". Could you explain, or direct
me to readings?

=20

Thanks!

=20

Jim Busby BYU

=20

________________________________

From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Andrew Anderson
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 6:32 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] 1098 slight redesign

=20

Jim,
If it is thumpy, have you considered adding some impedence?

Andrew Anderson

At 01:22 PM 2/9/2006, you wrote:

List,
=20
We just finished a restringing/slight redesign of a 1963 Steinway
upright.=20
 =20

1.	We ground down the "bump" and lowered the pressure bar slightly.
This made tuning a LOT better. Easier and more stable.=20
2.	We shortened the apron on the bass bridge (cantilever) to give
85mm (backscale) on the lowest bass note. It was 40mm.=20
3.	It now has Pure Sound stainless wire. This made the biggest
difference. Richer, more stable.=20
4.	Added a small tenor bridge. I'm not sure if this made much of a
difference, but the break does seem to be smoother and the bichords seem
to have a slightly stronger fundamental.=20

=20
A side by side listen with the same model showed vast improvements in
the plain wire sections. I think this was mainly due to the stainless
wire. Also, it tunes like a dream now! Removing the bump was easy and
well worth it.=20
=20
Although the piano is improved, in some ways greatly, I still don't like
the bass. It's better than the old design but still a bit "thumpy". Any
feedback??
=20
I attached a "before" picture and a close up of the bridge changes. The
"bump" area looks like the new 1098s so I didn't take a picture of that.
=20
I highly recommend the "bump" removal and the Pure Sound wire. Jury's
still out on the other changes.
=20
Regards,
=20