[CAUT] 1098 slight redesign

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sat, 11 Feb 2006 18:46:52 -0600

> Hi Ron,
>
> Could you elaborate just a bit for me on the vertical
> (horizontal) hitches?
> "Building the bass bridge a few millimeters taller and
> putting in vertical (horizontal) hitches would likely
> help too. "
> Does this mean cutting/grinding off the normal slanted
> hitch; drilling a hole and welding in a 90 degree
> hitch pin?  Akin to the accujust type?

Hi Bob,
No welding, just drilling a hole and driving in the roll pin.
Yes, like the Baldwin system (vertical in a grand, horizontal
in an upright) only it doesn't need to be that big in
diameter. I've found 3/16" works fine.

> The taller bridge is for increased downbearing
> possibilities in the bass, or more mass/impedance?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob Hull

The taller bridge is to let the string loop go up on the pin a
bit to get it out of contact with the bass riser (where the
hitches are) to get the benefit of the non-restrictive
termination. An English loop on a standard hitch pin is like
nailing the bridge down to the floor if the back scale is
short, but they'll pivot on a vertical pin and let the bridge
move. It also lets you fiddle with more or less downbearing
some after the strings are on, to see what works best. No
magic, just mechanics and geometry.

Ron N