[CAUT] 1098 slight redesign

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Sat, 11 Feb 2006 11:28:33 -0700

Ron, David,

I measured cores for the 1098:

String #1 = .051 (original was .064)
String # 10 = .48 (original was .050)

All double wrapped

Jim Busby

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Ron Nossaman
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2006 7:12 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] 1098 slight redesign

> I am not a rescaler, I've had Del Fandrich do my scaling and
invariably
> with Steinways there are changes made to the bass that are always an
> improvement in terms of clarity.  I can only say that what I notice is

> the tendency in the low bass to reduce the thickness of the core wire
> and go to double wraps.  I can't, unfortunately, give you the
specifics.

> David Love

There are a few of us that do scaling work for others. Smaller
core diameters and double wrapped monochords help. Building
the bass bridge a few millimeters taller and putting in
vertical (horizontal) hitches would likely help too. The hitch
change would give you the best flexibility, and some
prospecting room setting string bearing.

Ron N