[CAUT] 1098 slight redesign

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sun, 12 Feb 2006 07:03:02 -0800

Sounds like the scaling may not be the problem.  Seems like board design is
probably more likely the culprit.  What's the bearing measurement down
there.  It should be near zero.

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of Jim
Busby
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2006 10:29 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: RE: [CAUT] 1098 slight redesign

Ron, David,

I measured cores for the 1098:

String #1 = .051 (original was .064)
String # 10 = .48 (original was .050)

All double wrapped

Jim Busby

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Ron Nossaman
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2006 7:12 AM
To: College and University Technicians

> I am not a rescaler, I've had Del Fandrich do my scaling and
invariably
> with Steinways there are changes made to the bass that are always an
> improvement in terms of clarity.  I can only say that what I notice is

> the tendency in the low bass to reduce the thickness of the core wire
> and go to double wraps.  I can't, unfortunately, give you the
specifics.

> David Love

There are a few of us that do scaling work for others. Smaller
core diameters and double wrapped monochords help. Building
the bass bridge a few millimeters taller and putting in
vertical (horizontal) hitches would likely help too. The hitch
change would give you the best flexibility, and some
prospecting room setting string bearing.

Ron N