The Practical Information In Humorous Threads (was: [CAUT] New Laws)

Jeff Olson jlolson@cal.net
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 17:45:53 -0800

If you don't like humor (or this brand of it), the solution is
simple, just as it is with any thread one doesn't  find
interesting -- which is the case for some people with virtually
any thread --  don't read it.

It's not as though a few whimsical posts preclude the more
technical stuff.  Anyone is free at any time to post more
technical discussions.  There are, however, days when nothing is
posted, and it seems likely that this would be the case now,  if
not for the "laws" thread.  This list isn't a "zero sum" space.
Humor doesn't occupy space that otherwise would belong to
technical expositions.  And it's easy to identify what one
considers to be an uninteresting thread and to skip over it.

There is also often real information about dealing with customers
lurking in humorous threads like these.  For example, how does
one deal with customers who receive last-minute phone calls or
who vanish at the penultimate moment?  Many of us face these
issues on a daily basis.  Ron was not kidding when he mentioned
calling customers on cell phones while working in their house.  I
did that just last week when my customer had disappeared on a
large-acreage property.  I called him on my cell, and he drove in
on his tractor from the fields (I waited for ten minutes).  And
I've had to handle customers who get involved in long phone
conversations as I stand there twiddling my thumbs, as I'm sure
many here have.  I've become much more forceful in handling that
than I once was, and it would be interesting to know what others
think of my customer strategies.

I'm saying that behind our jests here exist real-life business
quandaries.  I seriously think there ought to be a seminar on
dealing with customer relations in prickly circumstances, because
our livelihoods are, at least in part, dependent on how we handle
these situations.  You can be the most skilled technician in the
world, but without a modicum of business skills, you're -- if
you'll excuse my Latin -- screwed.

(The livelihoods of those of us who often deal with the general
public, that is.  But perhaps people never do these things in
South Dakota, Tim, so I have nothing to worry about when I move
there ;-)?

Best,

Jeff O.