[CAUT] Renner underlevers

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 19:07:46 -0700

On 2/22/06 10:49 AM, "Dennis Johnson" <johnsond@stolaf.edu> wrote:

> Thanks for the comments.  With my tuning demands elsewhere right now I
> was able to improvise a shim on the particular offending notes which
> temporarily corrected that problem. This summer I'll be able take it out
> of service for a couple weeks to do all that properly....and more.   I
> was just really surprised to see what was causing the premature wear of
> the stop felt and wondering if I might modify something later while it's
> apart.  I don't have enough help around here to be replacing stop felt
> every few years.  ....but maybe that's because something tells me I'd be
> more than 2 hours.  :).
>
> thanks again,
>
> Dennis Johnson
> St. Olaf

Hi Dennis,
    I get the rail off and back on within half an hour. Another half hour to
scrape off felt, cut new, glue, let glue set a bit. It's a standard
procedure for me (usually to cure knocking noises where the felt has
disappeared on several notes, due to the upstop being used as a pedal stop).
First time I guess it probably took a bit longer. Well, I know it did,
because I used titebond to glue the felt, didn't allow enough time to cure,
and just as I was maneuvering it around the bend, the felt came off one end.
Curses! It all comes back to me <g>. But the subsequent times were not a
problem.
    As for solving the groove problem, what occurs to me is small pieces of
veneer tacked on each lever with a couple drops of your favorite glue. Could
be done pretty readily with the damper wires removed, tray pulled.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico