[CAUT] becoming a university tech. HELP!

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Jul 1 15:00:32 MDT 2006

On 7/1/06 7:29 AM, "wimblees at aol.com" <wimblees at aol.com> wrote:

>     This post brings up an issue that I think we, as a caut community,
> should address: the bidding process, how we can best respond, how we
> can best educate the music programs about the process. I think most of
> us are agreed that bidding piano service is a horrible idea, which
> leads to bad results. It is, however, a reality in many higher
> education situations, and probably most K-12 situations.
>     Are there people on this list who have dealt successfully with this
> sort of system? Any good strategies? Ways to influence the system to
> push it toward qualified personnel rather than lowest dollar?
>
> Regards,
> Fred Sturm
> University of New Mexico
>
> Do I see a class about this being proposed for next year?
>
> Wim

This is certainly a potential topic for an article (caut newsletter or PTJ),
a class, a workshop, if there is someone willing to undertake it. But I
think only if there is something positive to teach/convey (easy enough to
belly-ache about how awful this kind of system is, but that doesn't do us
any good). It's an important subject, as it probably represents a large
proportion of our caut profession. Again, is there anyone who has negotiated
this mine field successfully?

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico