[CAUT] RE : key bushing removal

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Mon Nov 6 12:47:51 MST 2006

Wim asks:
<  What are the opinions on the best bushing removal method?  Are there

    any other methods out there that are less apt to cause trouble?  >>

    I have never had a problem with my home-made steamer. It is an old
fire-extinguisher tank with a hot water heater element mounted in the end of it.  I
have three drilled out zerk fittings installed in the top for jets.  It knocks
the hide glue bushings loose in about four seconds.
     The white plastic glue that Pratt-Read favored in the '60's takes about
8-10 seconds per key.  With three jets going, (the whole thing sits in a small
wooden cradle), I place a key over the jet, wait 5 seconds, put another key
on, wait a few seconds, place the third on and pick up the first.  I pull the
felt out, place another key in its stead and pick up the second one, etc.
     This thing sizes the balance holes,( I invert the keys over the jets for
the balance bushings), and never leaves a water mark on the buttons.  I have
never had it loosen the buttons or ivory. I gave a complete description of
this earlier this year, or last.  It should be in the archives.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT