[CAUT] Key Bushing Removal

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Tue Nov 7 22:45:07 MST 2006

At 03:32 PM 11/7/2006, Barbara wrote:
>Eventually I again hauled out the steam set up.  Maybe they came out
>because they had had a "pre-soak."

I think that the pre-soak works very well. I've come to the same
result from a different direction. I pre-soak, sometimes twice, take
out what will come out, and if they are really stubborn THEN I reach
for a damp cloth and an iron to steam them out. I don't like cooking
wood unless I have to. If there are pulley keys, I'll steam, knowing
that it'll shrink the oversized holes - but if the balance rail holes
are snug, I'll try to avoid steaming, so I don't have to resize them
all later.

Susan