[CAUT] Tired wippens

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Nov 15 07:17:50 MST 2006

Hi folks,  I tried the mineral spirits way in the bass section: 20
minutes.  Then I tried the Dremel tool method in the rest of the wips:7
minutes!  I've decided to use the old ones and hope they die soon and
boost up arguement to replace the instrument.  I might then buy it and
restore it for my own.  Right now, I am piano-less!  Am I the only tech
without a home piano?

Thanks all for the input.

Paul

A440A at aol.com
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
11/14/2006 03:27 PM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

caut at ptg.org
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] Tired wippens

Fred writes:

<< First remove all springs to one side. Put a bamboo skewer through a
bunch of them at a time, and clean the springs with a rag soaked in
mineral spirits.  >>

Greetings,
   I find it is much faster, cleaner, and thorough to put one of those
small
felt wheels in the Dremel tool and just touch it to a piece of very fine
polishing compound.  Then simply go along the line of springs with a light
touch.
The whole top of the rep springs will shine like new.  I use a 3/16" dowel

under the springs' ends to do a whole set at once.

Ed Foote