[CAUT] Keybed repair

McNeilTom at aol.com McNeilTom at aol.com
Thu Mar 1 09:18:16 MST 2007

Hi, Dave and Colleagues -

About 30 years ago we replaced a keybed on an S&S 'D'.  The  problem resulted
when commercial movers were moving the piano.  It was on  its side, on a
skid, when it tipped over landing on its belly.  The  trapwork and its guards,
etc., were driven through the keybed compressing the  action to about half its
normal height.  Everything was in  smithereens.  Interestingly, the rim was
unhurt and the damper action was  apparently protected by the massiveness of the
belly rail construction.

We were able to get a new keybed from S&S by special arrangement.   Can't
recall the cost, but I'm sure it was plenty.  The whole thing was a  formidable
woodworking project to be sure.  Being a 'handmade' piano,  nothing was a 'drop
in' exchange; every single piece had to be hand fit.   If you've ever set up
a whole new action for a piano, you know what you're in  for there.  The
resulting restoration yielded a piano as good as ever and  it's still in regular
concert service decades later.  Amazingly, after all  that trauma, when all the
work was done the piano was still well in tune!   A real tribute to S&S design
and construction.

I'd advise waiting until things have a good chance to dry out to a  normal
condition.  Then carefully evaluate whether the keybed needs to be  replaced,
what will be gained by that, can it be rectified short of  replacing, etc.  If
your judgement says to replace it, have a conversation  with the folks at S&S
about getting a replacement keybed.  (You may  have to convince them that you
have the expertise to undertake this  project.)  If you do the project, take
the time or spend the money to  acquire a workbench capable of supporting the
piano upside down at a  convenient height - there is too much work involved to
do it crawling around on  the floor!  I bought two government surplus library
tables about 6' x 3',  about 28" high.  That gave a working height for the
upside-down keybed of  something like 45", very nice.

As I recall, the project, including whole new action, keys, keyframe,  etc.,
etc., cost the movers' insurance company something over $5,000 30 years  ago.
(Would that be $20K today?)  In your case, you may have to  replace legs and
lyre also, depending on the extent and duration of the  flooding.  Probably
still worth it, particularly if it's covered by  insurance.  In any case, it's
the only opportunity I've had to do that  particular repair in 39+ years of
rebuilding.  Could be  a once-in-a-lifetime experience for you!

~ Tom McNeil  ~
Vermont Piano Restorations
VermontPiano.com

346 Camp  Street