[CAUT] Rubenstien Piano

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Sat Mar 3 16:35:11 MST 2007

Well, he may not be a trained piano craftsman, but he certainly is a craftsman.

I designed the scale for the piano and did some consulting along the way
offering advice where and when asked. Some of which he followed and some not.
One area I wish he had followed a little more closely was with the soundboard --
it's some thicker and, hence, stiffer, than I would like. As is the ribbing. To
my ear it sounds voiced a bit too bright to make up for that. It does have good
sustain, though.

The scale extends down nine extra keys to C which, having a theoretical
frequency of some 16.35 Hz, is more felt than heard. The range below A is much
more useable than it is with the Bosendorfer Imperial. At least in my opinion.
Oscar Peterson -- the only pianist I've worked with who actually uses those
extra lower notes -- would love it!

It's a big piano and hearing it in a smallish room doesn't really do it justice.
I've also heard it in David's loft where it seems to open up more. Maybe its
psychological, but seeing it at the end of a smallish exhibit room reminded me
of seeing a lion in a cage at the zoo. Nice to look at but hardly its natural
environment.

Del

  _____