[CAUT] Rubenstien Piano

Andrew Anderson andrew at andersonmusic.com
Sat Mar 3 19:58:38 MST 2007

As a Sauter dealer, I was in that same exhibit room and happened to
notice the piano (kind of hard not too).  The tenor bass is
incredibly clean.  He didn't choose to make it snarly like Steinway
goes for.  My wife played it and it did have decent sustain and sound
throughout the registers.  Definitely in the American tonal tradition
with a much cleaner bass tenor than you usually encounter in an
American piano maybe a little brighter in the treble.  The bass is
incredible in the low notes.  That low C almost sounds like a big
chopper, it tended to dominate the whole room.
He is very approachable and it was fun to crawl under the piano and
discuss his belly design.  His next project is apparently going to be
an 8' grand piano.  He mentioned that a Steinway artist played it and
sniffed that it was weak in the bass (no snarl).  Amusing to the
technicians among us--a Steinway would be rather hard pressed to
produce that kind of volume.

I would not compare it to a Fazioli.  Different cultures
entirely.  If you don't have a Fazioli to try out, play a Sauter and
think a cooler, drier sound and you will have an
idea.  Comparatively, his piano is more American in the treble with
not quite the power or sustain associated with the better European
pianos.  My wife and I attended a concert hosted by Mr. Fazioli with
Vitaly Margulis playing the 9' Fazioli grand.  It was an incredible
showcase of pianism on an undisputably fine European grand.

Andrew Anderson