[CAUT] Salary

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Mar 14 17:22:18 MST 2007

Hi Carl,
    Is this something you anticipate doing ­ getting hold of the raw data?
And do you have the capability of doing the kind of cross-reference data
mining involved? There are lots and lots of questions that come to mind in
looking at that survey, all pretty easily doable if the data is intact. For
instance, besides the full time caut salary question, other salary questions
are hopelessly smudged because everything is thrown into the same pile. So
we don¹t even know what the gross income of full-time is versus part-time.
And trends in ETD use against years in PTG, ETD use of associates versus
RPT, type of training against income, frequency of attendance at institutes
and seminars versus income, things like that would be very interesting to
know.
    Unfortunately, a couple questions got asked a little wrong, especially
the one having to do with percentage of time spent in various occupations
(or just maybe it is the form in which they are reported ­ I don¹t have a
copy of the actual question asked). The ³less than 25%² category in
particular is rather useless. What does it mean? 0%? 10%? 20%? Those
differences are enormous, and very significant. I¹d sure like to know where
that 90% who reported ³less than 25%² for ³Institution of Higher Education²
broke down. I suspect that at least 25% of that group is ³greater than zero²
but the data leaves it as simply anyone¹s guess. The question on the draft
survey had those percentages as open-ended (fill in the blank). I suspect
the survey firm decided to streamline and make it easier to do input. A
shame. That was one item I was really hoping to get good data on (I lobbied
hard on including that question).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico