[CAUT] False Beats and George Winston

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Mar 18 22:52:32 MST 2007

I repeat,

Loosening the (tuning) pin.. i.e. takeing down the tension of the string
before taping a pin takes this whole friction argument out of the
picture. And there is good reason to believe that movement of the pin
can affect the overall massyness the termination as a whole presents to
the string.  For that matter, tho I know of no study one way or the
other that addresses the specifics of bottoming the pin out... it is
certainly feasable to think that doing so could potentially influence
the condition.

It is an error to think that it is the pin itself that is the culprit
here in bridge related single string beats. It is the overall
springyness/massyness condition of the entire termination that is the
root cause. The pin is not the simple and single support of the string
as in the pendulum analogy much of this reasoning seems based on. The
picture is more complicated then that.

I would also point out, that the net result of downwards pressure on the
bridge by the string from tapping as described below assumes that the
pin is already holding the string quite solidly in contact with the
bridge. This is clearly not always the case. It is very much possible to
tap the pin with tension on the string and end up with no net pressure
on the bridge surface itself.  That said... I would let tension down on
the string every time before taping a bridge pin to be on the safe side.

Cheers
RicB

     > I guess it hasn't seeped all the way yet...;-]
     >
     > So there is enough friction between the bridge pin and the string
    to drag it into the bridge cap with a tiny tap?   More to think about...

     > David Ilvedson, RPT

    There's about 25 lbs of side bearing on a pin at a 10° offset
    angle. That makes about 14lb of friction between the string
    and the pin. So tapping the pin down is the rough equivalent
    of gently seating the string with a 14lb hammer. Whether the
    pin is at the bottom of the hole or not makes no difference
    acoustically, though that's the illusion and everyone's
    conclusion when bottoming pins clears up a beat. When you seat
    the pin, you're just seating the string once removed, and
    still haven't addressed the cause.

    Ron N