[CAUT] Baldwin tray-height digest

Mark Cramer Cramer at BrandonU.ca
Thu Mar 22 15:50:04 MST 2007

I really appreciate all the wise advice on tackling the Baldwin tray height
dilemna, so have copied and saved them for future use.

Here they are (I think I've got them all), in "snipped" version for anyone
else who wants to consult a great checklist before drilling, plugging,
sawing etc.

Great contributions all!

Mark Cramer,RPT
Brandon University

PS Adding to Jim B's comments, Eric's "damper-dip block" is the bomb!

I'd suggest thinking through the chain of events, such as what if the wires
were cut
too short en masse, requiring the top blocks be jacked up, thus requiring
the tray... you get the picture.
Jim Harvey

What about plugging the hole on the treble block and re-drilling to match
the bass block?  probably want to plug the bass block and match it to the
treble, since you observed that the bass end is higher than the treble. Or
you could just make new blocks >:-}...
Tom Seay, RPT

What about dropping the bass 1/16" and raising the treble by 1/16"?
That should keep everything in the ball park in re action geometry while
solving
the taper problem.
Ed Foote RPT

Whether you raise or lower the bass or the treble depends on if there is any
scrubing or not. If there is scrubing of the levers on the tray felt, you
need to adjust the pin center like when you install a renner back action.
Keith Roberts

Page One of the Baldwin Manual second to last paragraph states, "Damper lift
with the pedal must be simultaneous from bass to treble."
-Mike Jorgensen

He (Eric Schandall) uses a special aluminum "T" shaped dip block that
touches 3
keys. It dips exactly 1/8 inch, which will give you 1/3 distance to the
key.He feels the "click" of the tool hitting the key with his finger
on the damper. It should be simultaneous.

Jim (Busby)

As well as the suggestion to look at everything that is there,
and try to determine why it is like it is, and after the
determination that there isn't a good reason for it being like
that, add capstans to the tray when you fix the blocks and
establish workable pivot points.
Ron N
Mark,

If the tray pins are the same height and the back of the tray is level,
check for tray warp.  This is most likely to happen with the presence
of a tray return spring at one end causing the opposite end to warp
upward.  If that is ever the occasion reposition the spring to the
opposite end of the tray and allow it to unwarp.  I wish you well.

Dan Gurnee, HSU Ret.