[CAUT] hammer softener

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 23 13:15:56 MST 2007

Paul-
For curiousity could you tell us the vintage of the M & Hs and the hammer brand.
One other comment.
Back when fabric softener solutions were new, I followed recommendations to soak the shoulders with the stuff.  All was well 'till I soaked a set of Baldwin hammers and stood there watching them pop loose as the softener soaked in, opened the shoulders and released the glue.
Since then I gradually cut back on the softener and changed to surface spraying. I've also seen folks do a fairly strong alcohol soak, then suspend the hammers strike point down and let them dry overnight.
Also be aware that steaming and softening treatments can sometimes cause worn hammers to split across the strike point.
Have fun, cautiously!
Ed Sutton