[CAUT] Capstans to Tray

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Mar 24 16:59:28 MST 2007

Hi Jon

I just took a look at the Spurlock jig along with the directions for
use.  http://www.spurlocktools.com/HTMLobj-423/underleverjig2.pdf
Interesting enough the paragraph under Theory clearly warns against
using the capstans for adjusting tray lift, and tho the reason is
different (Spurlock points to the damper stop rail, Yamaha points to the
problem I've related) the solution presented is essentially the same,
tho accomplished slightly differently.

Spurlock wants a straight line for the damper levers as a starting
point... assumes good even keyend felt thickness and proper key
leveling, even rest cushion etc... Yamaha makes the same assumption but
accomplishes the straight line using the tray itself and capstans as I
described instead of jacking up the the damper levels with a jig.  There
is an extra step as far as I can see in the Yamaha way... namely
leveling the capstans.

When it comes down to it... I'm not sure the capstans are really all
that good an idea outside of the ease of adjustment for tray lift
thing... which carries with it the possibilities of changing key timing
and the problem Spurlock points out with the stop rail.

Ok, ok... I'll be the first to say that if the instrument is very well
regulated then a few tweaks are not going to cause any major problems...
but instruments get tweaked a lot by folks who dont see consequences of
what they are doing... often enough by folks what dont know what they
are doing at all.

Anyways... thats the reason I dont use capstans for tray lift
adjustment.  If I adjust them... its to address timing...which means I'm
in for a tray lift regulation afterwards and the rest of it.  But I dont
really see that as a problem.

Interesting discussion, and the views expressed have exposed me to a
couple perspectives I haven't looked at closely for a while.

Cheers
RicB