[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Nov 1 09:55:01 MST 2007

Clearly some of us do see a reason for why a Department Head of Piano
Technology at a large university should have a working knowledge of
music roughly corresponding to an associates degree... and some of the
reasons give are quire well reasoned and argued.  And I certainly will
not accept what I think your analogy of a top-level commercial
electrician is meant to say.  First of such a technician IS required to
know quite a lot.  Electrical engineers I think they are referred to.

As far as piano instructors needing to be RPT's.  At the university
level I'd go a long ways down that road.  Certainly and by far the best
pianists I have to work with are those who have made an effort to reach
out to gain an understanding of OUR vocabulary.  So yes... I think the
road goes both ways.  And tho I wouldnt say they need to be RPT's... I
would most certainly recommend any music education curriculum to include
some degree of music instrument technology knowledge if asked.

Finally..  I seriously hope you didnt mean in your ending that anything
about this discussion one way or the other should be chuckled at.  To my
mind there is far too much reliance on that kind of discussion technique
in these kinds of discussions on this list or in any other forums as it
is.  Tho I do not agree with some of what Jeff Tanner has had to say,  I
have no doubt he is a very serious minded fellow and would not dream of
reducing any of his argumentation to something deserving of any form of
ridicule.

Cheers
RicB

    I don't see the need for a college degree for a CAUT, any more than
    for a top-level commercial electrician.

    And why would a CAUT need a music degree?  Shouldn't piano
    instructors be RPT's, then?  Yes, knowledge of music is helpful,
    moreso in specific situations, but you can regulate without knowing
    the structure of a sonata.

    Say this pithier and funnier for me, Ron N....