[CAUT] Digest, Vol 1103, Issue 85 Moving Wippen Rail

Keith Roberts keithspiano at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 11:46:27 MST 2007

Excuse me, you are not accepting the fact that the resistance lever arm is
to the jack center pin. This by definition of a lever. Show me the solid
beam that translates the force from the capstan directly to the top of the
jack. You have an imaginary RA. The force is transmitted through the lever
arms to the jack center pin. The center pin then lifts the jack. If I change
the EA of the wippen, the force at the jack center pin will change. Am I not
correct on this? The premise you base everything on is that the RA changes
with the rail move. It does not so a 2mm move is a lot and the input at
center pin to the jack, even though it changes slightly with the rotation of
the jack, is counter acted by the change in the alignment at the top of the
jack. Therefore all of the resultant changes MUST be due to the change in
the EA of the wippen.

Picture this. A five story building. You have a motor that  lifts a whole
bunch of weight 3" and lets it back down. You need work done on all the
floors. You put the motor in the basement and stand a post up through the 5
stories. On the 5th story you have machine that is the most important and
needs to accelerate a part from the floor to the ceiling and you need more
lift of the post to make it work. So you put in a 2nd class lever in the
basement between the motor and the post. Now this post does this same work
on every floor. Do I measure the RA of the lever in the basement to 5th
floor, the 4th floor, the 1st floor? If I disconnect the equipment on the
5th floor and move it to the 2nd, do I have to recalculate the RA and adjust
the setup so the same work is then accomplished?

Keith Roberts