[CAUT] CAUT credential

Thomas Russell trussellpiano at isunet.net
Fri Nov 2 15:34:58 MST 2007

Eric, your points are all well made.  I suppose in part I  have
always resisted increasing buearaucracy.  One other point to
reiterate is much of what a CAUT is expected to do will be learned
working in the field.  It seems to me that tests trying to simulate
real life situations could get at only a small subset of skills
needed. To give a somewhat analogous university example, when faculty
members go up for promotion or tenure their work over a period of
time is evaluated by a committee of their peers and letters of
recommendation are solicited from outside evaluators.  Promotion
(increased credential such as associate or full professor) is granted
based on their demonstrated ability to do the job successfully.  It
seems to me that part of a credentialing procedure would need to be
based on resume/vita and references from musicians/administrators
that are familiar with the work of the applicant.  Maybe this has
been addressed already and I missed it.  I hope I am not drawing out
the discussion unnecessarily.

Thomas Russell RPT
Iowa State University