[CAUT] Unfortunate D/C problem

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 2 20:48:22 MST 2007

Newer church piano - Dampp Chaser

I was just there 5 months ago...  As I was tuning for a recording session, could it be?  Rusting strings?  Pull out the flashlight, get up and walk around - yup, even a bunch of "rust dust" settled on the soundboard.

It seems that the person in charge of filling the unit thought that ANY de-scaler would be fine to use.  Used the gallon jug of stuff for the dishwasher and proceeded to add that with every fill up.

-gulp-

What a mess.  I removed the D/C unit  - hanger brackets just about rusted through.  Smart bars dissolved...

So, will the rust continue to attack?  It had hydrochloric acid in it.  Strings, nose bolts, probably the bottom of the plate...

How much of the piano needs to be replaced?  Yikes!

Ron Koval
Chicagoland