[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Nov 5 07:19:04 MST 2007

I have never said we need a degree in anything other than piano
technology. I wouldn't hire a self-taught non- guild member for tuning my
piano. Personally, I like knowing what the musicians are talking about,
when they describe something. Even if I can't play their piece, I do know
some sections of other pieces that are ppp or presto, repetitive, etc.  I
also know how to ask for more information and then can interpret it to my
piano tech knowledge. Music terms taught in church or band have nothing to
do with piano playing either.
One needs to know at least how to trill or repeat notes quickly, run
scales or arppegios to know what a well regulated piano feels like. One
doesn't need to play like Van Cliburn to know the piano doesn't feel
right. Like other threads have talked about recently, a piano can be in
proper regulation, but still be too heavy from other problems. that's
where proper tech education joins in. How could a self-taught tooner know
that kind of advanced knowledge?
To what degree we would require musical knowledge is very difficult to
measure, but I still believe one can have a better understanding of being
a tech with some basic piano skills. If one can do it without these
skills, then more power to 'em.

Paul

Willem Blees <wimblees at aol.com>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
11/02/2007 02:38 PM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

caut at ptg.org
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Look, I haven't said that having some musical knowledge doesn't help. Sure
it does.  But it doesn't require a degree in music.  Basic music terms are
taught in high school band and chorus or in church choir, or in private
lessons.  You can teach yourself enough about music by checking out a book
from the library and listening to some recordings to do what we do.

Jeff

You can also check out a book on how to tune your own piano, or do open
heart surgery.

Wim