[CAUT] Insta-coiler

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon Nov 5 10:15:31 MST 2007

That's interesting, Tim. I used a Sciortino stringing tool a lot
quite a few years ago, when I was stringing a few pianos. I did
notice that if the tuning pin were too low in the pinblock, the tool
would bottom out against the plate and the coil would bind and start
coiling above instead of below the becket. I found I had to check to
be sure it wasn't doing that.

The tool was great for one thing, though. It always made a really
tight bend where the wire came out of the tuning pin, and it saved my
aching thumb. Especially for the big wire sizes in the deep bass,
this really nice pain-free sharp bend at the becket was worth
fiddling a little with the tool the rest of the time.

Susan Kline