[CAUT] Insta-coiler

Tim Coates tcoates1 at sio.midco.net
Mon Nov 5 11:33:13 MST 2007

Susan,

I found the Insta-coiler paid for itself the first time I used it.
The tuning pins are all driven first to a 32mm height.  This
eliminates the problem you mention with the plate being scraped by
the tool.  After the strings are all on and there has been one chip
tune, the pins are leveled to 22mm height.   As you are doing the
first chip tune one can lift any errant coils that aren't as tight as
you would like.

I had severe tendinitis in my right elbow before I started using the
Insta-coiler.  I could barely lift an empty coffee cup.  The Insta-
coiler helped immensely with overcoming the stress on the elbow from
stringing.   At the same time I also taught myself to be
ambidextrous  while tuning.  Being an ambidextrous tuner really
relieves the pain that can develop from  repetitive movement day
after day.

I know quite a few people who use the Insta-coiler and I will not go
back to the most widely taught stringing methods.   I find stringing
to be enjoyable.

Tim Coates