[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Wed Nov 7 07:06:02 MST 2007

 Israel, David, Jeff, et. al.,

Yea, nature vs. nurture.   I came into this world
musical and years of training have have only honed that, not squelched
it.  (My wife is also very musical, and just watch out for our
children!)

Since I have a couple of music degrees, I am delighted to know that they may officially be in the plus column towards a CAUT credential/program.  On the other hand, I am weak on math and could not scale a piano.  I should learn how, and probably will as a result of whatever we come up with for the CAUT credential/program.  Neither the math nor the music degree will make me a better at tuning, regulating, etc. per se, yet they are pluses for different reasons.  As I have said before, I have found the value of my own years studying music vis a vis working in a conservatory environment is understanding the language (which one can get on one's own) but, moreover, having a high degree of empathy for what the the students and faculty are experiencing as performers and composers in a school setting.   Is that worth years and years of time and ten of thousands of dollars in and of itself?  Probably not.  Does it help?  You bet.

Just last weekend there was a very controversial musical production--and this is in the context of an avant guard school.  It was interesting how many students and faculty sought my opinion.  They know I have one, can articulate it, and have little to fear (politically) from speaking my mind.  Again, being in that position does not make me a better turner of tuning pins, but it DOES integrate me much further into the community and garners me more of that most intangible yet sought after of commodities: respect.  On a good day, I imagine that helps others in our musical community regard more highly what I do with pianos.

Alan Eder