[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 6 21:58:23 MST 2007

At 07:26 PM 11/6/2007, caut-request at ptg.org wrote:
>Subject: Re: [CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?
>Message: 2
>
>Jeff:
>
>I guess this is where we'll have to agree to disagree.  If what you
>say is true, our educational systems have been putting one over on
>the public very well, and for a long time.  I, personally, don't
>think that's really the case.
>
>dp
>
>David M. Porritt, RPT
><dporritt at smu.htm>dporritt at smu.edu

David,

This is just another variation on the "nature vs. nurture" debate
that only the most simple-minded take an extreme position on. The
world is full of very talented "musical" hamburger flippers, taxi
drivers, hospital orderlies, bicycle messengers and - well - piano
"tooners" who don't have the patience or the discipline or - frankly
- the maturity to work their way through the formal training and the
discipline that would give them the musical vocabulary and the
technique to fully develop their talent, who never let their talent
come under the influence of other creative and well-trained talents
so that it talent can bloom - because they think that their talent is
enough. These are called "underachievers" and tend to throw stones at
the educational system they apparently did not know how to take
advantage of... Then, of course, there are the talentless "tools"
without a talented bone in their body who dutifully plod their way
through conservatories and music departments for no reason but -
perhaps - to make the institutions financially sustainable. So what?
Rarely does anyone make it in music without either formal training -
or someone with formal training behind them fixing the screw-ups...
It's possible, it happens - but very rarely - that someone can make
it on raw talent alone.

So stick to your guns, David

Israel Stein