[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Nov 10 00:32:10 MST 2007

I have to echo Israel Stein

Just as about as nonsensical as the other extreme position taken in this
thread, ie the notion that learning institutions have little or no
value. We stray off the path with these meaningless jabs in and about
and around common sense.  Of course you can learn some amount on your
own...  just as "of course" you can learn a whale of a lot more if you
have some good help. There are very very very few exceptions if any at
all to this rule.

Talent, drive, desire are on the one side.  Opportunity, resource,
instruction are on the other.  To discount the value of education out of
hand is simply ludicrous.  Just as deadended as it is to expect higher
pay, more respect, and greater awareness of what our work is about
unless one presents our work, our profession to the world at large on
ITS terms. Argumentation that simply rejects the system for its many
flaws and refuse to acknowledge its many strengths take us no where
closer the stated goals this general thread seeks to address.

Cheers
RicB

        Talent isn't the point. The notion that nothing can be learned
without someone teaching it to you is nonsense.
         Ron N

 And notion that anyone can learn without being taught is more nonsense.
Some people can teach themselves. Moist can't. Just look around and
check out all the "tooners" that have been at it for years and years -
and still haven't figured out how a piano action works or how to get a
stable tuning... Fact is that an awful lot of people who try to teach
themselves simply get it wrong, or never get the whole picture...

    Israel Stein