[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Nov 11 16:16:21 MST 2007

Hi John.

I'd have to ask what good does it do to learn from your own mistakes...
try and pass on how to not make the same mistakes... only to be met with
this attitude against learning from the resulting educational system ?
I'd submit we end up spending too much time re-inventing the wheel if we
accept all this.

As said before several times now... we all KNOW that credentials dont
make the man (to use your expression).  The flaws in the world of
credentials however do not constitute a good enough reason for rejecting
them entirely. We dont just decide on a kind of intellectual anarchy
because a few of the protocols in use go bad.

Fact is... MOST folks who are accredited with this or that or the other
represent a valuable knowledge resource to anyone clever enough to know
how to access them.  Some are easier to open up then others... but
hey... lifes a bitch and then you die... just how much do we have a
right to expect of others anyways eh ??

Cheers
RicB

    It seems to me, that the first people in a field, would have to be
    self-taught. They learned by their mistakes. What they passed on,
    was don't make the same mistakes, that had already been  made.

    Some academics to a very poor job, of imparting their knowledge,
    and  unfortunately, their pay-scales are determined by the courses
    they passed, and not their ability to impart the knowledge
    successfully. Some teacher/instructors couldn't teach their way out
    of a wet paper bag.  But they do have the credentials. Credentials
    do NOT the man make.

    John M. Ross
    Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada