[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Nov 12 08:25:56 MST 2007

It does seem like this thread has wandered a bit, sort of like playing
telephone.  The original issue, I thought, had to do with whether there
should be a CAUT credential and part of that was whether it should be tied
to pay.  We don't really have control over tying it to pay and I'm not
really in favor of that.  In my view, the pay one receives should be based
on experience and demonstrated ability.  Were I hiring, I would likely give
preference and higher pay to a very experienced individual over one who had
a number of certificates but little practical work experience.  A continuing
education program for CAUT individuals is, I think, a good idea and should
be considered as part of the PTG offerings during national and/or local
conventions.  Those who work in the field and have particular expertise in
the peculiarities of working for a university should consider offering them
as part of the sharing of information and ideas that characterize this
trade.

Certificate programs have their own problems in terms of determining
requirements and administration.  Some of the classes needed, or helpful,
don't have much to do with piano technology at all and include things like
inventory management, scheduling, budgeting, working with faculty, etc..
They may be better served by a business administration approach.  As I see
it, piano technology issues are already addressed by course offerings
through the normal PTG channels.

Further complicating things are the fact that the requirements for CAUT
individuals vary a great deal.  Some of the more valued CAUT individuals in
terms of skill level are the concert techs who may or may not get involved
with the business administration aspects of the job.  Tying their pay to
certificate programs addressing inventory management may not useful or fair.
Not all CAUT techs are highly paid.  Most university positions offer a
fraction of what a successful tech could make as an independent.  While they
do offer benefits programs and stability, the criteria for universities
often emphasizes how much they are willing to pay over credentials,
experience or even skill level.  Not always, but often.  Attempting to tie a
credential to pay may not really serve the techs that well and may have
little influence on hiring practices or pay scales anyway.

So, while expanding the PTG course offering to include topics relevant for
CAUTs could be valuable, I don't see a certificate program as worth the
administrative hassles.

That's my view anyway.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net