[CAUT] sos. woes

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Nov 19 18:43:39 MST 2007

The simplest approach is to cove out the back of the backcheck at the point
where the sostenuto would contact it.  It doesn't take that long.

If you know you will have the problem in advance you can shave more off the
tails of the hammers if they aren't too heavily coved.  Replace the
backchecks with Renner checks which aren't as deep as the NY Steinway style.
Finally (which you've already done) you can shave the pivot blocks slightly
to move things distally a small amount.

After the fact, coving the backcheck is the easiest.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com